Friday, January 6, 2012

Sheer Joy


If the presence of life enkindles hope (see previous post) then joy is enkindled by the presence of hay.  Yes, hay.  I can still vividly remember moments of sheer joy in childhood, captured by galloping with unbridled enthusiasm on top of a long row of large round bales.  (And yes, while "galloping" and "unbridled" are figures of speech,  I will admit to, as a horse crazy youngster, always imagining that I was riding a horse.)  It sounds simple and silly I know, but those who have lived the experience will agree.  It is blissful. 

The paradoxically calming and energizing smell of hay filling your nostrils, the warmth of the sun on your back and the fresh farm air on your face as you sprint headlong - leaping from bale to bale when necessary.  Even slightly having the wind knocked out of you when you trip and fall onto the scratchy surface feels strangely satisfying.

So, though we are having an unseasonably warm spell here, I found myself looking forward to next summer when I came across these pictures from this past fall.  Enjoy, and may they warm and invigorate your spirit!

Hay is good for fishing,
And good for taking Senior Pictures,
And good for practicing Senior Pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment